There is no denying that digital marketing is king! Traditional forms of marketing might still be used in some avenues, but with almost everyone having access to the internet, digital marketing has become the holy grail. Over the years, however, various forms of marketing have developed in this domain and it can be hard for people getting into business to comprehend everything. Which channel should you be on? What do PPC and SEO really entail? What are the pros and cons of each form of digital marketing and where do you even start? In this read, we are going to look at the common types of marketing with aim of helping you pick the right channels and formats to promote and grow your business. Before going into the article, if you are looking for digital marketing recruitment agencies near London then see here.
- Search Engine Marketing
Search engine marketing entails getting your site on the first page of the results pages when a person searches for your product, service, brand and other relevant terms in your industry. Think Google, Bing and other search engines. Search engine marketing includes both natural or organic search (search engine optimization) and paid search (pay per click).
This form of digital marketing does exactly what the name suggests- optimizing your web pages for the search engines. This entails publishing content that people are actively looking for and also ensuring that it is optimized from a technical aspect as well. Regardless of your business or niche, SEO is something you should be doing continually.
SEO begins with content and so, you should have a strategy for this first. Conduct keyword research in order to tell what people are searching for and create content surrounding those topics. If you are just starting out, consider using a plug-in in order to help optimize your website. WordPress and Yoast are great examples. If you have a bigger budget, consider working with an expert for a more solid strategy and comprehensive implementation.
- One of the best things about SEO is that it is free.
- Also, when your brand appears on the natural search results, you come across as authentic and authoritative in the eyes of the users.
- You don’t have to pay in order to get on the first page, but it takes a lot of time and effort to make content that will beat your competitors on the search engine results pages.
- Also, you’re at the mercy of Google’s changing algorithm and given how many other people are trying to rank in your industry, it can be incredibly difficult to rank high for organic results
Pay Per Click (PPC)
As the name suggests, PPC is paid search advertising. In Google, for example, your results appear like natural search results at the top of the page, but with a small box that specifies it’s an AD. You can purchase a high-ranking position through an auction-based on keywords, demographics, and geographical location.
- Content Marketing
This form of digital marketing entails creating and publishing content in the form of text, videos and pictures that add value to your target audience. If you are a business to consumer (B2C) content may imply blog articles, fun videos and social media posts. If you are in business to business (B2B) it may be educational videos, webinars, reports or white papers.
- Content marketing is free in the sense that it is about attracting clients to your company rather than paying to get your message out there.
- Content is highly versatile and can help build your brand as you inspire, educate and entertain your audience.
- Content marketing has become a cluttered space making it hard to stand out.